Friday, January 22, 2010

According To Randolph

Today started out like just any old particular Friday. I slept through my first three alarms, woke up too late to shower on purpose, took 30 minutes to find a parking spot, and ran into Anthropology with 3 minutes to spare. Afterward I decided I had had enough of UVU for one hour so I took a detour home to the temple. There was a two hour wait but I definitely had time to kill. I sat down feeling overwhelmed from just simple being. I closed my eyes for a second and to my dismay quickly felt my seat pop up with the jolt of another who plopped down next to me. I slowly opened my eyes to the image of hairy feet and toenails literally 2cm long. My face became contorted and I was in disgust that someone could even wear shoes with those hangers! I closed my eyes again trying to make the image disappear. Five or ten minutes go by and then I hear a heavy aired and loud "whisper" say "Whats your name?" Oh gosh.. I immediately think to myself.. honestly?? why?? sigh... I tell toenails my name and he says with much confidence "I'm Randolph." Fit him well, I must say.. Here is where the story picks up though.. He then asks me every question in the book.. I felt like I was on a first date slash at a stake dance during a slow song.. I was quite taken off guard by why he needed to know all these things right now in the temple... "Why do you want to be a Deaf Studies Major?? Do you have a Deaf Mom or Dad?" Ok Randolph.. I'm trying to feel the spirit and YES I do try and come each week.. and YES I come alone... Here though is the ticket: "What are you doing after this??" (Jaw drops and I wish I would have never opened my eyes in the first place) Did he seriously just ask that... My mind was racing and I slowing said.. "swimming.. I like to swim...(since previously he asked what I do for fun each day)" Thankfully I was saved by the worker before he could respond and it was my turn. I never saw Randolph again.. I don't know where he went.. or why he was there.. but he answered the question me and my roommates have had for years.. do guys really pick up girls in the temple, and do people really meet their spouses there.. thank you Randolph, forever it could have been a mystery.

No comments:

Post a Comment